How To Pick The Right Haltech ECU For Your Vehicle
An electronic control unit (ECU) is an essential component of any vehicle, yet many people don’t know what it is, how it works, or how to pick the right one for their car. The team at GameOn Motorsports include tradespeople and performance vehicle specialists who work with our preferred brand, Haltech, day in and day out. We’re here to help you understand ECUs a bit better and walk you through the process of picking the right Haltech parts for your vehicle.
What Is An ECU And How Does It Work?
In layman's terms, an ECU is a programmable computer used to control certain engine functions. It uses information sent from a variety of sensors such as;
- Engine Speed (RPM)
- Coolant Temperature
- Intake Air temperature
- Throttle position
- Manifold pressure
When the above information is received by the ECU and the tuner views it in real time, a variety of adjustments can be made. The ECU plays a part in determining how much fuel should be injected to achieve the desired air/fuel ratio as well as telling the ignition coils when to spark to produce maximum engine performance.
What Sets Haltech Apart?
There’s a reason why Haltech is GameOn Motorsport’s brand of choice for ECU parts.
- They’re leaders in the industry. Haltech is acknowledged worldwide as leaders and pioneers in the automotive industry. They were the first to develop a real-time PC-programmable engine management system, and they haven’t looked back. They’re always introducing cutting-edge, innovative technology and trying to stay ahead of what customers need before they know they need it.
- They have a reputation for quality. For over 40 years, Haltech has been delivering premium-quality ECU products and technologies. When you buy Haltech parts, you can be confident in their reliability and performance.
- It’s an Australian-made brand. Haltech is arguably one of the biggest names in the automotive industry, and it was created in a Sydney shed in 1986. GameOn Motorsports is proud to be an Aussie-owned business selling the products of other Australian companies.
Which Haltech ECU Is Best For My Vehicle?
Haltech makes a vast range of ECUs, which is excellent when you want choice, but confusing when you’re unsure where to begin. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right ECU for your vehicle.
- Know your car’s wiring. Haltech ECUs are split into two groups; Plug’n’Play and Universal. If you want to use your car’s existing factory wiring, Plug’n’Play will probably be ideal for you. If you’re going to rewire your car or build a car, then a Haltech Universal ECU is more suited to your needs.
- Know your engine. If you know your engine’s inputs, outputs and engine specific functionality requirements well, you’ll be able to narrow down your choices very quickly.
- Know your goals. The Haltech parts you need will greatly depend on what you want from your finished engine. Do you want flat shift? Nitrous control? Torque management? Figure out what you want and then check out GameOn Motorsport’s range of Haltech ECUs.
- Do plenty of research. All you need to do is type ‘Haltech ECU’ into Google, and you’ll be swamped with thousands of videos, articles, and forums discussing the pros and cons of each product. If you think you have a rough idea of what, check out some reviews, watch some videos, and make a more informed decision.
- Ask plenty of questions. The team at GameOn Motorsports are professionals, and we’ve been installing Haltech ECUs for a long time. If you’re confused about which is right for you or you’d just like to pick our brains about something specific, don’t hesitate to reach out. We love helping our customers reach their car goals, one part at a time.
If You’re After An ECU, Head To GameOn Motorsports And Browse Our Haltech Parts
Since 2009, the GameOn Motorsports team has been stocking the broadest range of premium car parts and providing the best quality mechanical services to each of our customers. While we pride ourselves on our professionalism, our product knowledge, and our brilliant results; the thing that sets us apart is our genuine passion for cars. We started GameOn Motorsports as a hobby, and our commitment has seen it quickly grow into a leading workshop with a team of qualified tradespeople and excellent salespeople. When you come to GameOn Motorsports with a vehicle issue, we can guarantee we’ll help you tackle it as though it were our own. If you’re interested in checking out our range of Haltech parts, head to our website today or pop into the workshop for a chat.